Navigate Up
Sign In



Non-Maltese partners, whether they are heterosexual or homosexual, of Maltese citizens may apply for this permit as long as documentary evidence is provided:

  • By the Maltese citizen or third country national concerned attesting to a regular and stable income + an additional amount of 20%
  • That the partnership has been subsisting at least two (2) years.
  • Regarding sickness insurance in respect of all risks normally covered for Maltese nationals.

In the case that the relationship has been subsisting for 2 years, a residence permit valid for one year is granted. If documentary evidence is produced showing that the couple have been living together in such a relationship for the 5 years preceding the application in question, a residence permit for 3 years is issued to the third country national.

Requests for a residence permit by a Third country national whose relationship is below the 2 year period mentioned above are considered on the merits of the case. If the request is acceded to, a temporary permit for a period to be determined by the Director, is granted to the foreign national concerned.



Last updated in June 2014.