Navigate Up
Sign In

Residence Permit

The residence of Third Country Nationals is regulated by the Immigration Regulations of 2008 – Subsidiary legislation of the Immigration Act (Cap 212). According to these regulations, a third country national is a person who is neither a citizen of Malta nor of the Union, as well as a stateless person. Other subsidiary legislation under the said Immigration Act also regulates the residence of certain categories of third country nationals – Subsidiary Legislation 212.05 of Long Term Residents, Subsidiary Legislation 212.09 conditions of admission of third country nationals for the purposes of studies regulations, Subsidiary Legislation 212.06 family reunification regulations and Subsidiary Legislation 212.10 third country nationals for scientific research purposes (specific admittance procedure) regulations.
A foreign national wishing to reside in Malta is required to have in his possession the relative authorization, which is reflected by the appropriate authorization. This could be in the form of a residence document or a visa.
Residence permits are issued to Third country nationals who have been authorized to reside in Malta for a specific purpose. The Department for Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs has been entrusted with the responsibility of issuing uniform residence permits to third country nationals in terms of Article 4A of the Immigration Act (Cap 212). Council Regulation (EC) No. 1030/2002 which came into force on 15 June 2002 and which was amended by Council Regulations (EC) No.380 of 2008 that stipulates that such permits should be in a specific format throughout all Member States of the European Union.
This permit is in the form of a stand- alone plastic card with electronic features in accordance with the provisions of the said Council Regulation.
Validity of Residence Permit
Residence permits are generally issued for a validity period of one year or as already mentioned. The duration may be less if the purpose for which a permit has been requested has a specific time-limit.
Applying for a Residence Permit
In order to apply for the Residence document one needs to present two forms:
  • The application form that refers to the purpose for which one wishes to reside in Malta.
  • The identity registration form (ID1A) which is the same for all categories of applicants

As from 2013 Identity Cards are no longer being issued to foreigners authorized to reside in Malta. Residence permits apart from being documentation that reflect the immigration status of the person concerned serve also the purpose of identification documentation for national use. Identity Cards previously issued to third country nationals have to be returned to this Department when an application for the new residence document is being made.
  • Third country nationals are required to pay a fee of €25 which will entitle the applicant to a document covering the period of one year or part thereof. Long term Residents are required to pay the fee for a five year permit amounting to €125
  • There is no application fee if a person enjoys Exempt Person Status as provided for in Article 4(1) of Immigration Act (Cap 212). For example the spouse of a Maltese National enjoys such status.
  • Persons enjoying International Protection who have just been released from detention are also exempt from paying a fee.

In cases where a residence document is lost, stolen, destroyed or defaced a fee will have to be paid as follows: 

  • In case the document has been lost, stolen or destroyed: €20 
  • In case the document has been defaced: €15  

Sickness Insurance


Proof of sickness insurance cover is required in some of the applications.



 Last updated in June 2014.

Persons enjoying exempt person status
Employment / Self-Employment
​Economically Self-Sufficient Persons / Pensioners / Retired Persons
Family Reunification
​Long Term Residence Permit
​EU Blue Card
​Humanitarian / Other Reasons
 Contact Name
The Department for Citizenship & Expatriate Affairs
Evans Building
St Elmo’s Place
Valletta VLT 2000

+356 25904800