Navigate Up
Sign In

Obtaining self-employment license


May I apply to be self-employed in Malta?

irst of all it has to be remarked that the single permit application process does not apply in the case of self-employment.
EEA/Swiss nationals, (including Croatian citizens) and their TCN “family members” or “other family members”, may take up self-employment in Malta without the need for an employment licence, although they must still send an Engagement Form to Jobsplus (in line with Legal Notice 110 of 1993).
In respect of third country nationals, an employment licence is required and is only granted in exceptional cases. 

In order to qualify for self-employed status, a third country national must meet one or more of the following criteria:
a. Invest in Malta capital expenditure of at least Euro 500,000, within 6 months from the date on which the Jobsplus licence is issued.  Capital expenditure shall solely consist of fixed assets (such as immovable property, plant and machinery) used for the business purposes as reflected in the business plan submitted with the application. Rental contracts do not qualify.  Such expenditure needs to be supported by receipts in the TCN’s name. The application also needs to be accompanied by a letter of reference in respect of the TCN, from a reputable Maltese bank that certifies that the TCN has the facility to raise such capital;
b. Highly skilled innovators with a sound business plan to be submitted with the application who commit to recruiting at least three EEA/Swiss/Maltese nationals within eighteen months of establishment;
c. A person leading a project that has been formally approved by Malta Enterprise and formally notified by the latter to Jobsplus. 
Applications containing a firm commitment re the engagement of EEA/Swiss/Maltese nationals as part of the staff complement will assist in the favourable consideration of an application.
Long-term residents, Asylum Seekers, persons enjoying Subsidiary Protection/Temporary Humanitarian Protection Status and Refugee Status require an employment licence to work as self-employed in Malta. However, they are exempt from meeting the above criteria.
In the case of (a) above, a Business Plan is required, indicating clearly when such investment is to occur, within twelve months from application. In the case of (b) above, the Business Plan must be submitted with the application. In the case of (c), evidence of such representation is required on application. In the case of (d), formal notification by Malta Enterprise is required on application. 

Last updated in June 2014​.
 Contact Name 
Employment Licences Unit
Ħal Far Road
Ħal Far BBG 3000

+356 2165 4940